The Kit

Hi,

After finishing a little military project (Quad Gun Tractor) I would like to share with you the progress of building a Flower-class corvette.

(For a german version of this blog please visit: Das Wettringer - Modellbauforum)

Approximately 2 years ago I saw the old Revell kit of HMCS Snowberry. I was immediately hooked for this model. Due to a fortunate coincidence Revell recently reissued the Kit as a platinum edition. After another 9 Months of I finally brought myself to acquire the kit.

In Mai 2013 I got hold the kit in hands at least. Three weeks later the complete set of upgrades from GLS(Great Little Ships) arrived from the UK also. The only obstacle for building now is time.

 

The kit:

lafr-t-6ea9

 

The accessory:

lafr-s-33e7

On the picture all PE, resin and casted parts of the GLS upgrades are depicted. The first impression is misleading, it consists of more than 1000 parts!

The propeller is also from the UK (http://www.prop-shop.co.uk/) and shall be driven by a 4mm shaft.

 

Literature:

lafr-u-3417

 

The books are very informative and the numerous details described and depicted are hardly feasible in this scale model.

The model shall be built as a RC model with various additional functions.

Building the hull

In the past months I was already assiduously building. The hull which consists of four parts was put together and in order to stabilize the joints reinforced using 2 component epoxy resin. Also the stern tube was fitted in that step. The the original keel of the original kit was sanded down. However the final sanding of the hull will only take place once I have added the decks in order to have to do this painstaking thing only once.

The rudder block in the stern was fitted with a brass tube and also reinforced with epoxy.

Finally I built a gearbox from aluminium and brass axles. For propulsion I settled for a Speed 400 from Graupner. The transmission ratio is 1:3 and with 6V of voltage should yield a max of 2000 rpm. For the gearbox I have chosen steel gears Modul 0.5 and a ceramic ball bearing from Conrad. The hole box was assembled in a modular design so that a could mount a ground plate with epoxy and put and remove the gear box with 2 screws only.

 

Some pictures:

 lafr-y-e369

lafr-16-3416

lafr-10-1c38

lafr-11-19ca

lafr-12-a5bf

lafr-13-a577

lafr-14-d67d

lafr-15-d645

A little Update

This weekend I fiddled around with some minor things. The second shaft bearing was made and the gearbox built in.

The gear box was fitted to the ground plate and aligned with the shaft. For vibration dampening the gear box was underplayed with 2mm strips of sponge rubber.

Then, I built a open box from 1mm polysterene drilled a duct for the stern tube and the box fixed under the shaft with glue. In a second step I poured 5mm epoxy into the box to give it some stability. After 12 hours of hardening the ducts were sealed with glue as well then the rest of the box were filled with epoxy.

The shaft bearing turned out to be very solid and runs smoothly and calm in a dry test. I am looking forward for testing it in the wet element.

 

Some pictures:

lafr-17-a1d0

lafr-18-17e6

Without Steering There is Only One Way

After the propulsion section it is now time for the steering. With remnants of a styrene plate a temporary servo holder was fabricated and together with the arms placed into the hull in order to measure the exact dimensions.

With those the final servo holder was built from several brass parts like 2x8mm and 2x5mm strips. The parts were then soldered and sanded. To fix the servo 2 M3 threads were added. The steering bars were from 1.2mm brass wire and Bowden cables from Conrad.

At last the servo holder was placed in the hull and fixed with superglue. To reinforce the joints I plan to use some adhesive resin.

 

Some pictures:

temporary servo holder:

lafr-1a-6c83

brass holder:

lafr-19-f717

lafr-1b-d9d4

lafr-1c-67c6

lafr-1d-642e

lafr-1e-f457

lafr-1f-c0c7

 

The Next Step

Despite other stuff like family and other hobbies I was able to get some progress. Originally I planned to sand the hull and fix the decks. Unfortunately the old kit showed some deficits. All parts larger than 5cm are skewed and distorted. Therefore the hull sanding was postponed and a correction of the decks and superstructure envisaged in order to achieve a proper overall view.

I started with the quarterdeck and the engine housing. It took me 3 full hours to assemble the engine house due to the distortions of the original parts. And after the sanding most of the engravings were also gone.

 

Some pictures:

lafr-21-e2c4

lafr-22-32bb

lafr-23-d2dd

lafr-24-ad61

lafr-25-d09b

lafr-26-fbd7

lafr-27-28dd